What Is Anavar?
Anavar, also known by its generic name oxandrolone, is an anabolic steroid that belongs to the class of drugs known as androgens. It was first introduced in the early 1960s by the pharmaceutical company Searle Laboratories and prescribed to help individuals with conditions that cause muscle wasting and to promote weight gain following surgery, chronic infection, or severe trauma.
Taking Anavar for Bodybuilding
For bodybuilders and athletes, Anavar has gained popularity due to its reputation for promoting lean muscle mass and strength without causing significant water retention or unwanted side effects commonly associated with other steroids.
Benefits of Anavar for Bodybuilders
Some of the perceived benefits of Anavar for bodybuilders include:
- Lean Muscle Mass: Anavar is known for promoting the development of lean muscle tissue. It is often used during cutting cycles to help athletes maintain or even increase muscle mass while reducing body fat.
- Strength Gains: Users may experience increased strength while using Anavar. This can be advantageous for athletes looking to improve their performance without adding excessive bulk.
- Fat Loss: Anavar is believed to have a mild fat-burning effect, which can contribute to a more defined and vascular appearance. It may be particularly useful during the cutting phase of bodybuilding.
- Reduced Water Retention: Unlike some other steroids, Anavar is less likely to cause significant water retention or bloating, which can be desirable for bodybuilders aiming for a more aesthetic, dry appearance.
- Low Androgenic Activity: Anavar has a lower androgenic rating compared to other steroids, which means it is less likely to cause certain androgenic side effects such as acne, hair loss, and aggression.
Dosage & Steroid Cycle
For male bodybuilders, a common Anavar dosage typically ranges from 20 to 100 mg per day. However, higher doses may be used by some, though it increases the risk of side effects. Female users, due to their higher sensitivity to androgens, often use lower doses, typically ranging from 5 to 20 mg per day.
Regarding Anavar cycles, these can either be bulking or cutting. Bulking cycles typically last 12 weeks, whereas cutting cycles take 6-8 weeks. However, like dosages, these can vary depending on the goals. The dosage will also depend on whether you take Anavar alone or paired with another bodybuilding drug.
Potential Risks & Side Effects
Despite its numerous potential advantages for bodybuilders, Anavar can also cause side effects. Their severity and risk of occurrence heavily depend on the dosage and cycle, usually growing when taking higher doses across a prolonged period.
The most common adverse risks and effects of Anavar typically include:
- Liver Toxicity: Anavar is a 17-alpha-alkylated steroid, which means it has been modified to survive the first pass through the liver. This modification, however, can contribute to liver strain and toxicity, especially with prolonged or high-dose use.
- Cardiovascular Effects: Anabolic steroids, including Anavar, can adversely affect cholesterol levels by reducing high-density lipoprotein (HDL) and increasing low-density lipoprotein (LDL). This can potentially lead to cardiovascular issues, including an increased risk of atherosclerosis.
- Hormonal Imbalances: Anavar use can suppress the body’s natural production of testosterone. This can lead to hormonal imbalances, testicular atrophy, and other associated issues.
- Androgenic Side Effects: While Anavar is considered to have low androgenic activity compared to some other steroids, it can still cause androgenic side effects in both men and women. These may include acne, oily skin, increased facial and body hair growth, and, in some cases, male pattern baldness.
Virilization (in Females): Female users are at risk of experiencing virilization effects, which include the development of male secondary sexual characteristics such as deepening of the voice, clitoral enlargement, and facial hair growth.